Use Caution When Wearing a Cap Under Your Umpire HelmetFeb 18th, 2020
We researched whether each umpire helmet can be worn with an umpire cap. We discovered a safety issue with most helmets and typical umpire bill lengths. Most umpires try to make a cap work under their helmet for appearance reasons despite the lack of need for it.
You can see pics below where bills are exposed, which can result in serious injury if the bill is hit.
4-stitch cap bill fits under the All-Star helmet but is exposed.
4-stitch cap bill fits under the Wilson Pro Stock helmet but is exposed.
4-stitch cap bill fits under the Wilson ShockFX helmet (no longer available but still out there), is not exposed, but impact can push frame onto bill due to bill/frame closeness.
4-stitch cap bill fits under Force 3 helmet and is only one NOT exposed.
If you do plan on wearing a cap under your umpire helmet, we strongly suggest checking to make sure the bill is not exposed to a potential impact.
- Calling Balls/Strikes from Behind the Mound? Follow This Easy Safety Tip
- Plate Shoes PSA: Avoiding a Potential Rip
- Injury Prevention & Recovery: The Essential Umpire Safety PSAs
- You’re Wearing Your Throat Guard Wrong ~ How to Fix It
- Jim Evans Talks About Force3 Defender Umpire Face Mask
- Contusions and Concussions - An Umpire's Most Common Injuries
- Three Simple Practices to Help You Stay in the Game
- Tips from Umpires Who Switched to a Helmet
About the Author
President Jim Kirk
Jim has a heart for sports officials and is a leading expert on umpire gear, safety and apparel. After playing baseball at Centre College, he worked as a high school umpire during the Elbeco shirt years. He became involved in E-Commerce while working on an MBA in the early 2000s and bought Ump-Attire.com in 2006. Jim is proud of Ump-Attire.com's success, staff and support for multiple groups including Minor League Baseball Umpires, Minor League Baseball Umpire Training Academy, the Wounded Warriors Umpire Academy and UMPS CARE, the charity of MLB umpires. He served on the UMPS CARE board of directors and was named their 2015 Ambassador Award recipient.