Proper Positioning for Throat Guards on Umpire HelmetsOct 4th, 2023
Just as throat guards on traditional umpire masks, there is a preferred position for throat guard placement on hockey-style umpire helmets for optimal protection.
For helmets, the throat guard should be placed as an extention of the helmet. To best achieve this, match your brand helmet with its same brand throat guard. See below for best placement by umpire helmet brand - Wilson, All-Star, and Force3.
Attach Wilson MLB 4" or 6" throat guards to the lowest crossing bar and outside of the "U" shaped bar.
Attach All-Star 6" or 4" throat guards to the lowest bar of the cage. This is the same position for All-Star System 7 helmets.
Attach the Force3 Defender Throat Guard to the 2nd lower most crossbar and outside the upside-down "U" shaped bar which places the guard right at the base of the frame.
- Jim Goes Parental with Umpire Cap & Bill Length Warning on Umpire-Empire Post
- Why the NOCSAE Standard Doesn't Help Umpires / Follow These 5 Steps Instead
- Watch Jim Kirk’s Webinar on ‘Uniform & Safety’ for British Baseball Federation & European Umpires
- Injury Prevention & Recovery: The Essential Umpire Safety PSAs
- Calling Balls/Strikes from Behind the Mound? Follow an Easy Safety Tip
- Use Caution When Wearing a Cap Under Your Umpire Helmet
- You’re Wearing Your Throat Guard Wrong ~ How to Fix It
- Jim Evans Talks About Force3 Defender Umpire Face Mask
About the Author
Marketing Specialist, HS & College Umpire Ty Unthank