Update Message from President Jim Kirk on COVID-19 and Business OperationsMay 20th, 2020
We know this has been a tough time for us all. Very few have been as impacted by COVID-19 as sports officials, the officiating community and the sporting goods industry.
We have remained open to serve sports officials around the world for the ongoing orders, service and returns needs. Our main focus has been in keeping staff safe, while maintaining our service standards. We also took time to improve the website checkout experience and to give back to others.
Along with NASO, we established a goal to donate 10,000 cloth masks to hospitals and non-profits through the sale of cloth masks made by Smitty Officials Apparel. While some are using masks to work games, most of the 7,000+ sold to date have been for everyday use for individuals and families. The outpouring of support for this initiative has been amazing and immensely gratifying.
With baseball and softball starting back up in some parts of the country, we want you to know that we are here whenever you decide to need us. We have plenty of inventory and the staff for when you are ready.
You will notice that we have more items discounted than ever before. While this is helpful to you, and to us, do not feel compelled to take advantage now. We know money is tight for most people. We plan to have these discounts available for as long as we can.
No matter where you are, what you are doing, whether you are working games are not, we hope you are safe and healthy. It's our wish that all of you are back on the fields and courts soon doing what you love to do.
Jim Kirk, President
- Watch Jim Kirk’s Webinar on ‘Uniform & Safety’ for British Baseball Federation & European Umpires
- From Little League to Ump-Attire.com President, Hometown Article Highlights Jim Kirk’s Sports Career
- Smitty Making Cloth Masks - Buy One, Donate One Program
- The (Nearly) Definitive State-by-State Guide on Sports Re-Openings
- FROM THE ASHES: How Thomas Edison Inspired Our Company to Survive the 2020 Sports Shutdown
- Electronic Referee Whistles As Alternative for Sports Officials During COVID-19
- Social Distancing Behind Home Plate: Could This Solution Provide the Best Compromise for Umpires, Leagues & Safety?
- Calling Balls/Strikes from Behind the Mound? Follow an Easy Safety Tip
- Mindset for Social Distancing Guidelines from TSEUA President & Assignor John Gallante
About the Author
President Jim Kirk
Jim has a heart for sports officials and is a leading expert on umpire gear, safety and apparel. After playing baseball at Centre College, he worked as a high school umpire during the Elbeco shirt years. He became involved in E-Commerce while working on an MBA in the early 2000s and bought Ump-Attire.com in 2006. Jim is proud of Ump-Attire.com's success, staff and support for multiple groups including Minor League Baseball Umpires, Minor League Baseball Umpire Training Academy, the Wounded Warriors Umpire Academy and UMPS CARE, the charity of MLB umpires. He served on the UMPS CARE board of directors and was named their 2015 Ambassador Award recipient.