Smitty Making Cloth Masks - Buy One, Donate One ProgramJun 29th, 2020
Thank you for helping us, Smitty and NASO donate 10,000 masks to these hospitals and non-profit organizations through the Buy One, Donate One Program:
Hospitals & Healthcare
- Brooke Army Medical Center (Texas): Non-medical hospital staff
- Central Maine Healthcare (Maine): Patients, visitors and non-medical hospital staff
- Clover Fork Clinic (Kentucky): Patients, visitors of patients and non-medical hospital staff
- Egleston Hospital - Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta (Georgia): Patients, visitors of patients and non-medical hospital staff
- Esperanza Health Center (Illinois): Patients, visitors of patients and non-medical hospital staff
- Froedtert Hospital (Wisconsin): Patients, visitors of patients and non-medical hospital staff
- Halifax Health (Florida): Patients' families and visitors
- LeConte Medical Center (Tennessee): ER Nurses, Techs and HUCs
- Navy Medical Center (Virginia): Sailors at the facility and in the community
- Norton Healthcare (Kentucky): Hospital staff including janitors, administrative staff, secretaries plus patients' families at Norton Children's Hospital
- Oklahoma Proton Center (Oklahoma): Cancer patients receiving treatment
- Presbyterian Hospital (New Mexico): Patients, visitors of patients and non-medical hospital staff
- Robley Rex VA Medical Center (Kentucky): Patients, visitors of patients and non-medical hospital staff
- UAB Hospital (Alabama): Patients, visitors of patients and non-medical hospital staff
- Wooster Community Hospital (Ohio): Laboring moms & their support persons in their OB unit
- Umps Care Charities: Child life staff at childrens' hospitals throughout the country that they partner with and where MLB umpires visit
- 1st Descents Hero Recharge (Colorado): Sanborn Western Camps outdoor adventure program free for medical workers
- Backside Learning Center at Churchill Downs (Kentucky): Employees and volunteers
- Coalition for the Homeless (Kentucky): Outreach workers to the homeless
- Mountain Comprehensive Care (Kentucky): Residents of the drug addiction program
- Navajo Nation (Arizona): For residents of the Indian reservation
- New Riegel Volunteer Fire Department (Ohio): Volunteer members
- With Love From Harlan (Kentucky): Food service workers who deliver meals to the elderly
SMITTY MANUFACTURING CLOTH MASKS
Smitty Officials Apparel has switched gears during this unprecedented time and is now manufacturing reusable cloth face masks for everyone - not just sports officials - to help slow the spread of COVID-19.
The Donation program WITH NASO AND UMP-ATTIRE.COM
NASO joined with Ump-Attire.com to offer high quality quilted polyester face masks from Smitty in a variety of colors and designs including official's stripes. For every mask purchased, we donated one in kind to a hospital or health group in need of masks up to 10,000.
MORE ABOUT THE MASKS
Even though these are not medical grade masks, they are high-quality, quilted fabric that will help patients in the hospital and the general public reduce their risk of spreading and catching airborne viruses.
About Smitty officials Apparel
Smitty, based in Canton, Ohio, is the largest manufacturer of umpire and referee uniforms. Founded by retired NBA Referee Joe DeRosa, they are the official supplier of 5 NCAA Championships and the majority of state high school athletic associations in the U.S. For more information, visit www.smittyapparel.com.
NASO’s mission is to serve as the leading source of sports officiating information, programs and services. NASO thrives to serve members by providing benefits and services, improve sports officiating performance through educational programs and training materials, advocate opportunities for sports officials and engage in programs to recruit and retain officials, create alliances with organizations that benefit from healthy sports officiating programs, and enhance the image of sports officials. For more information about the National Association of Sports Officials, visit www.naso.org.
Ump-Attire.com, based in Louisville, Kentucky, is the leading worldwide retailer of umpire and referee gear and apparel. Owned by Jim Kirk, Ump-Attire.com is the Preferred Vendor of the National Association of Sports Officials and is the exclusive uniform supplier to Minor League Baseball Umpires and the MiLB Umpire Training Academy.
- The Neighborhood Box Score (Community Good Highlighted) - January 2021
- CDC Guidelines Updated for Masks & Gaiters
- The Neighborhood Box Score (Community Good Highlighted) - October 2020
- Sports Officiating Resources & the Coronavirus Pandemic
- The Neighborhood Box Score (Community Good Highlighted) - September 2020
- UMPIRESTRONG Bracelet Proceeds Benefit The Randy Harvey Fund
- The Neighborhood Box Score (Community Good Highlighted) - August 5th
- High School & Middle School Associations Decisions on Fall Sports
- The (Nearly) Definitive State-by-State Guide on Sports Re-Openings
About the Author
Pro School Umpire Graduate Josh Mann
A native of Chicago, Josh graduated from the University of Arizona with degrees in Economy & Industry and Sports Management. He attended the Minor League Baseball Umpire Training Academy and Harry Wendelstedt Umpire School, umpired in the Frontier Professional Baseball League, and worked in the Chicago Cubs Organization. Josh enjoys baseball, hockey, golf and spending time with his dog Wrigley. He spent 4 years as Ump-Attire.com’s marketing assistant and recently relocated to Arizona.