Ty Unthank Shows How-To Clean & Polish Your Umpire & Referee ShoesFeb 19th, 2020
Many of you have asked:
- "How do I clean my umpire shoes?"
- "What kind of soap should I use?"
- "How do I keep my shoes looking shiny?"
- "How do I keep the white on my shoes white?"
- "How hard is it to clean dirt out of the mesh?"
- "What shoe polish should I use?"
Featured in the video is Pedag Premium Shoe Polish, Horsehair Brush and Shine Sponge. We love Pedag because it offers an all-in-one tube, polish and sponge applicator. Not only does it provide long-lasting protection and shine, it is a breeze to use and just as simple to store.
You'll notice in the videos it is recommended black Pedag polish for umpire and referee shoes that are predominantly black (plate shoes and all-black field shoes); and clear polish for shoes that have some white (base / field shoes with white). Great advice!
For more "Crew How-To" Umpire Video Tips, visit our YouTube Channel.
- Crew How-To: Adjust Your All-Star Cobalt Umpire Chest Protector
- Plate Pants Catching on Your Umpire Shin Guards? The Fix is as Smooth as Silk
- Crew How-To: Measure and Size Your Umpire Chest Protector
- ASK ILA: 10 Tips for Female Umpires to Look Taller That Benefit Short Male and Youth Umpires, Too!
- Injury Prevention & Recovery: The Essential Umpire Safety PSAs
- Crew How-To: Measure and Size Your Umpire Shin Guards
- How-To Make Excess Shoelaces Disappear into NB Plate Shoes
- Crew How-To: Attach A Sun Visor to Your Umpire Mask
- Crew How-To: Crease Your Umpire Cap Just Like the Pros
About the Author
President Jim Kirk
Jim is a leading expert, educator and author on umpire gear, safety & appearance. After playing baseball at Centre College, he worked as a high school umpire. He became involved in E-Commerce while working on an MBA in the early 2000s and bought Ump-Attire.com in 2006, He eventually led it to the leading umpire gear & attire retailer worldwide and a “Best Places to Work in Louisville” honor in 2020 & 2021. He maintains long-standing relationships with Minor League Baseball Umpire Development & Training Academy and the National Association of Sports Officials (NASO). He serves as an adviser to UMPS CARE Charities, the charity of MLB umpires, served as a 2-term board of director from 2012-2018, and was named their 2015 Ambassador Award recipient. A supporter since the inception of the Wounded Warrior Umpire Academy, he was named to their Board of Directors in 2020.