Plate Pants Catching on Your Umpire Shin Guards? The Fix is as Smooth as SilkAug 5th, 2020
On the inside of your plate pants, add a 6-8” piece of silk where the shin guard “knee” goes. Your pants will slide more easily over your shin guards as you get in and out of your stance.
This is a trick from former MiLB executive director of umpires and now MLB Replay Coordinator, Justin Klemm, that he used when working in the minors.
- What Pants Do MLB Umpires Wear? Jim Dishes Full Scoop
- ASK ILA: 10 Tips for Female Umpires to Look Taller That Benefit Short Male and Youth Umpires, Too!
- Crew How-To: Improve Your Umpire Mask Harness Appearance
- Ty Unthank Shows How-To Clean & Polish Your Umpire & Referee Shoes
- Ump-Attire.com Survey Reveals Changing Fabric Standards for Umpire Pants
- Appropriate Hem Length: Look Professional and Prolong Your Pant Life
- Tips for Umpires to Keep your Butt Looking Good on the Field
About the Author
President Jim Kirk
Jim is a leading expert, educator and author on umpire gear, safety & appearance. After playing baseball at Centre College, he worked as a high school umpire. He became involved in E-Commerce while working on an MBA in the early 2000s and bought Ump-Attire.com in 2006, He eventually led it to the leading umpire gear & attire retailer worldwide, a “Best Places to Work in Louisville” honor in 2020 & 2021 and a National Association of Sports Officials (NASO) Preferred Vendor. He maintained a long-standing relationship with Minor League Baseball Umpire Development & Training Academy for 10 years. He serves as an adviser to UMPS CARE Charities, the charity of MLB umpires, served as a 2-term board of director from 2012-2018, and was named their 2015 Ambassador Award recipient. A supporter since the inception of the Wounded Warrior Umpire Academy, he was named to their Board of Directors in 2020.