Officials Spotlight: Janet L ThomasMar 18th, 2020
Where are you from?
When/where did you start officiating?
"I coached my son’s baseball team for 6 years and started umpiring in my area when I knew my son was trying out for the HS team. If he made the team, my coaching days were over. Many umpires had been encouraging me to try it, so I did! 14 years later, I’m still on the field!"
What do you love most about officiating?
"I love conversations with the catchers when working the plate. I could write a book but I don’t think most people would believe me! It’s good to get in the slot, and know that I can be consistent from first pitch to last pitch."
Which sports do you officiate?
"I umpire baseball. Primarily HS (currently the only woman in my county to do so) and then I also do travel and youth baseball."
Highlight of your career?
"I worked the semi-finals for GHSA (GA) state playoffs in 2019. I was the first woman to work this round."
Tricks of the trade
"I try to travel light, but I also try to pack weird things like an extra pair of black shoelaces, a needle and thread, safety pins, and an extra pair of pants! You never know when something is going to break and needs to be fixed fast!"
- Female Umpires Committee to Advise on Gear & Clothing Needs
- Officials Spotlight: Young Gun Umpires
- ASK ILA: 10 Tips for Female Umpires to Look Taller That Benefit Short Male and Youth Umpires, Too!
- Umpire & Football Official Sewing Face Masks for Hospitals
- Officials Spotlight: Wally Bissett
- Officials Spotlight: Mitch Levis, AKA the Bearded Blue
- Officials Spotlight: David Epperson
- WWUA Veteran Spotlight: Sergeant First Class Joe Aylsworth
About the Author
Pro School Umpire Graduate Josh Mann
A native of Chicago, Josh graduated from the University of Arizona with degrees in Economy & Industry and Sports Management. He attended the Minor League Baseball Umpire Training Academy and Harry Wendelstedt Umpire School, umpired in the Frontier Professional Baseball League, and worked in the Chicago Cubs Organization. Josh enjoys baseball, hockey, golf and spending time with his dog Wrigley. He spent 4 years as Ump-Attire.com’s marketing assistant and recently relocated to Arizona.