Umpire & Football Official Sewing Face Masks for HospitalsApr 10th, 2020
Daniel Labrie, a baseball umpire and football official, has sewn thousands of masks for local healthcare workers in his hometown of Auburn, Maine. To date, Daniel has delivered 700+ masks to Central Maine Medical Center, 100 masks UMPS CARE Charities and another 150 masks to the US Coast Guard in Portland Maine.
“Usually at this time of year, umpires are the ones wearing masks, but these days, Daniel is an umpire making surgical masks in the wake of the coronavirus crisis,” UMPS CARE Charities wrote on Facebook.
UMPS CARE Charities said Labrie urged others to check their local shops for mask-making kits, saying he “hopes it inspires people.”
Labrie is a member of the Central Maine Board of Approved Baseball Umpires and umpires high school games, as well as games in the Maine Babe Ruth League and more, according to UMPS CARE Charities.
- Ump-Attire.com to Serve as Umps Care Charities Uniform Supplier for Its Official Leadership Program
- CDC Guidelines Updated for Masks & Gaiters
- Sports Officiating Resources & the Coronavirus Pandemic
- High School & Middle School Associations Decisions on Fall Sports
- The (Nearly) Definitive State-by-State Guide on Sports Re-Openings
- Female Umpires Committee to Advise on Gear & Clothing Needs
- Smitty Making Cloth Masks - Buy One, Donate One Program
- FROM THE ASHES: How Thomas Edison Inspired Our Company to Survive the 2020 Sports Shutdown
- Electronic Referee Whistles As Alternative for Sports Officials During COVID-19
About the Author
Pro School Umpire Graduate Josh Mann
A native of Chicago, Josh graduated from the University of Arizona with degrees in Economy & Industry and Sports Management. He attended the Minor League Baseball Umpire Training Academy and Harry Wendelstedt Umpire School, umpired in the Frontier Professional Baseball League, and worked in the Chicago Cubs Organization. Josh enjoys baseball, hockey, golf and spending time with his dog Wrigley. He spent 4 years as Ump-Attire.com’s marketing assistant and recently relocated to Arizona.