Wounded Warriors Umpire Academy and Umpire Gear Suppliers Partner to Take Injured Service Members from the Battlefield to the BallfieldJul 9th, 2017
Life after military service can come with difficulties, especially for those soldiers recovering from physical injuries or emotional trauma. Finding ways to contribute to society can be challenging for retired military men and women.
Retired Marine and umpire Greg Wilson and NCAA umpire Dan Weikle created the Wounded Warrior Umpire Academy in 2014. Its mission is
“to provide instruction, training, mentoring, and placement for military veterans interested in officiating baseball or softball.”
Why Wounded Warriors as umpires? Service members are already disciplined, organized and polished. What’s needed are the training and the gear so they can make an immediate transition to the baseball diamond.
Based in Denver, Colorado, the 2017 class had 20 students, including 5 returning graduates. 20 dedicated staff members provided the instruction.
THE GEAR AND APPAREL
We are proud to be one of the 3 Grand Slam Sponsors along with AT&T and the Semper Fi Fund. In reality, it’s the caring suppliers that year after year step up to the plate to outfit the now umpires with their gear and apparel.
We would like to thank the following companies for their generous donations and dedication to the brave men and women of the Wounded Warriors Umpire Academy.
Veteran Danielle Pothoof was a returning student to the 2017 class. Last Christmas, Danielle had to have her left leg amputated after some complications from a previous battle injury. She had to relearn the curriculum, but this time without a leg. WWUA was the motivation she needed to put her prosthetic to the test. She now has the confidence to trust her new leg, and rely on it more in daily life. We here at Ump-Attire.com and the WWUA staff are extremely proud of Danielle and all of the graduates of the Wounded Warrior Umpire Academy.
For more information about the Wounded Warrior Umpire Academy, visit www.woundedwarriorua.com
- Battlefields to Ballfields Partners with Ump-Attire.com as Official Equipment & Shoe Provider
- Wounded Warrior Umpire Academy - Supporting Our Veterans On and Off the Field
- Smitty Officials Apparel Named the Supplier of 5 NCAA Championships
- Ump-Attire.com is a Proud Sponsor of the Mid-American Umpire Clinic
- Ump-Attire.com Named Exclusive Gear and Apparel Supplier of Umpire Training Institute
- Ump-Attire.com is the Proud Sponsor of the Canadian Baseball Umpire Camps
- 10% of Proceeds Benefit Hurricane Florence Relief
- FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: The National Association of Sports Officials (NASO) Names Ump-Attire.com as a Preferred Vendor
- Suppliers Outfit the Largest-Ever Wounded Warriors Umpire Academy Represented For the First Time by All Military Branches
About the Author
Marketing Assistant, Pro School Umpire Graduate Josh Mann
A native of Chicago, Josh graduated from the University of Arizona with degrees in Economy & Industry and Sports Management. He attended the Minor League Baseball Umpire Training Academy and Harry Wendelstedt Umpire School, umpired in the Frontier Professional Baseball League and worked in the Chicago Cubs Organization. Josh enjoys baseball, hockey, golf and spending time with his dog Wrigley.