Umpire Equipment Bags Buying GuideSep 25th, 2019
Which umpire equipment bag is best?
Because an umpire packs a lot of gear, clothing and accessories, you will need a large bag. A regular old duffle bag or one-compartment bag will not do.
Because umpires don't want to throw their soft clothing in with their hard umpire protective gear and dirty shoes, the double-compartment bags are the way to go.
Because most umpires umpire in different locations, umpires need to be mobile with wheels on their large bag.
From there, the best umpire bag is up to your preference on size, telescopic (or pull-out) handle and bonus features.
First, there is a trade-off between size and handle. If you want the most room, bags have a handle at the end, and are not telescopic. The longer the bag, the more weight a handle would have to support so this is counter-productive.
The best in largest bags (without a telescopic handle) are:
- 36" Wilson V2 Umpire Equipment Bag with the MLB logo - a nice choice if you prefer the brand that sponsors MLB umpires.
- 36" Champro Umpire Equipment Bag where you get more square footage for the money.
The best telescopic handle wheeled bag, there are smaller options:
- 33" Diamond Ultimate Equipment Bag gives you the largest bag that comes with a telescopic handle.
- 33" Force3 Ultimate Equipment Bag has multiple features including rugged, angled wheels and included folding bags for shirts and pants.
The best with bonus features:
- Integrated Shoe Compartments: Found on Champro, Diamond and Wilson Umpire Bags
- Folding Bags: Force3 Umpire Bags
- Laundry Bag: Champro Umpire Bag
MORE IN UMPIRE TRAVEL
If we're talking travel, additional items will help protect items and/or keep them tidy and neat within your equipment bag:
- For Shirts or Pants: Smitty Fold-Em Travel Sleeve
- For Plate Shoes (or 13+ shoes): Force3 Plate Shoe Bag
- For Base Shoes: Force3 Umpire Shoe Bag
- For Caps: UMPLIFE Cap Carrier
- For Masks: Force3 Umpire Mask Bag
- For Shin Guards: Force3 Shin Guard Bag
- For Accessories: UMPLIFE uBag Organizer
- For Laundry: Force3 Laundry Bag
Tell us your umpire equipment bag and travel tips in the comments below.
About the Author
President Jim Kirk
Jim is a leading expert, educator and author on umpire gear, safety & appearance. After playing baseball at Centre College, he worked as a high school umpire. He became involved in E-Commerce while working on an MBA in the early 2000s and bought Ump-Attire.com in 2006, He eventually led it to the leading umpire gear & attire retailer worldwide and a “Best Places to Work in Louisville” honor in 2020 & 2021. He maintains long-standing relationships with Minor League Baseball Umpire Development & Training Academy and the National Association of Sports Officials (NASO). He serves as an adviser to UMPS CARE Charities, the charity of MLB umpires, served as a 2-term board of director from 2012-2018, and was named their 2015 Ambassador Award recipient. A supporter since the inception of the Wounded Warrior Umpire Academy, he was named to their Board of Directors in 2020.